Oct 19, 2008

The Holy Grail: Vegan Kraft Dinner

Or macaroni and cheese, for you non-Canadians!

First, I just want to say hello it is nice to have you here to our new subscribers! I am thrilled, and therefore I got blocked and was all "the next post better be really good" because, you know, performance anxiety, so I figure I'll start with the one thing tons of vegans have taken a bash at...mac n'cheese. I miss it. I love it. It's my friend, and we don't abandon friends just because we've changed. I don't wanna be that gal. I've seen those Afterschool Specials. I'll end up in a car wreck or something and learn a valuable lesson about friendship and that's time I don't have.

Making vegan KD is like unearthing treasure. You try tons of different routes to get to the golden prize and most of them end up being pits full of snakes and rats.

I started with Carol's recipe and made a few adjustments, but I do not take credit for this recipe and I changed very little.

K so you need:

* 1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
* 1/2 cup white flour
* 1-2 teaspoon garlic powder
* 2 cups soymilk (USE PLAIN!! Sweetened = BARF)
* 1/4 cup margarine
* 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
* 1 tsp turmeric (or tumeric or whatever, just put it in there)
* 1 tbsp miso (I used the one that's the colour of fridges from the 70's)
* YOU CAN TOTALLY CHEAT and add Tofutti "cream cheese" as well - when I heated this up for the second munch it was a bit dry so I stirred in a tbsp of the herb/garlic Tofutti and it was BAD ASS.

Do this now:
Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens and bubbles.



Cook and stir 30 seconds more, then remove from the heat. Whip in the margarine and mustard. Add more milk or water if mixture is too thick.

Then stir in the macaroni, UMM UMM GOOD!



When I plated it, I had to walk back to the kitchen for a fork and I came back to the following staredown.



It was REALLY good. The colour doesn't really come through here, but it was literally flourescent yellow and creamy and fine, and even my old man said "yup, that's good stuff."

It does sort of thicken up overnight. I was concerned that it solidified, but microwave + a bit of liquid = even better the next day, so go team me!

I'm not kidding about the term "Holy Grail" either. There are, at a conservative estimate, 19 billion vegan KD recipes out there, and no one seems to like anyone else's, so if you don't like this, dive in and be like the Indiana Jones of vegan mac n' cheese. Then you can say cool things like "Hey, I have a whip" and you will mean "to make food with" but other people will assume you're just an awesome dude with a whip and probably try to make out with you.

BONUS TIP: Cats don't like this

16 comments:

Lidian said...

This looks amazing, I am going to have to try it! We are 99% vegetarian here, and I regularly flirt with going vegan (maybe when my kids are a bit older and I'm not making 2-3 variations on a theme for dinner, etc)

And you have a gorgeous cat, I am crazy about cats. We have 2 grey sister kitties, almost 9 years old.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

You cat didn't seem to like it!

veganbilly said...

She was CONFUSED and AFRAID. She is phenomenally stupid, but she's so cute...

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Does it come with the adorable cat? If not, I'm afraid I'm not interested.

veganbilly said...

I'm afraid I just can't let her go so cheaply. She is the secret ingredient in my pakoras.

Buddha said...

I have started a blog carnival “My recipe for:” I would love to have your post – recipe on it , please submit it at: Blog Carnival - zen school carnival posted at Blog Carnival listings.

Rebecca said...

Wow, I'm glad you didn't let that cat steal your dinner!

We're back, btw!

Starcasm said...

Oh Yeah, and that Rebecca person was representing Starcasm!

Beat Black said...

hehe, cutest staredown ever

HeatherPride said...

I admire your dedication to the vegan lifestyle. I mean, look how creative you got with mac n cheese! Impressive!

Braja said...

OK, I'm in. Hey is the cat vegan? Serious question. I'm vegetarian for many reasons; I do take cow's milk and products, only because I live with the cows and they're totally nurtured and loved and never slaughtered. A friend of mine here has a cat she would like to be vegan or veg. Talk to me :)

Anonymous said...

Would it still turn out okay if I didn't use the miso?

veganbilly said...

@Anonymous: Yes! I made this recently and didn't have miso on hand. I substituted extra turmeric and a little bit of olive oil mixed with cayenne and tahini. It was just as good.

Adam said...

We were hoping for a mac and cheese like flavour, but this just tastes like indian food. I dont know what type of Kraft Dinner you usually buy.

Adam said...

We were hoping for a mac and cheese like flavour, but this just tastes like indian food. I dont know what type of Kraft Dinner you usually buy.

Unknown said...

I made this as soon as I saw this recipe and I have to say it did not disappoint! By far the best recipe for vegan kraft dinner that I've ever had!