Sep 26, 2008

Internet First: Liveblogging My Tap Water

OK people: this may be the lamest thing I'll ever post...or the greatest?

I moved into a new place last October, and it's aces, except for one small issue, which affects 80% of my body and most of my food (also my cats, and various wiping procedures). In the interest of meaningless junk science, I present to you: The Mystery of The Water In My Apartment. Toronto water isn’t that bad, but in my neighbourhood (Old Town, close to the Market) it seems a lot of the water is hard. Toilets get nasty fast, skin and hair get pretty dry, the water demands a bribe every month or it’ll flood my bathroom – you know, hard.

Now I’ve seen cloudy water before; this ain’t my first H2-odeo - but it usually settles quickly so you can pretend that it’s fine and your eyes were just smudgy from all the sleep you don’t get. This stuff, though, is a little longer-lasting, and I intend to get some hard, completely non-scientifically gathered facts to give to my landlord when he tries to hike my rent at the end of the lease.

INNOVATIVE WEB 2.0 ALERT:This may be the first time anyone has ever liveblogged a glass of water. Now that’s progress!


PHASE ONE: FRESH FROM THE TAP





PHASE 2: 5 minutes later - Typo-Prone Octopus Releases White-Out Instead





PHASE 3: 8 Minutes later: Wicked Witch Watch - Tornado Alert Level: Ruby



PHASE 4: 12 minutes later: Great, but where did all the schmutz GO?





I learned something today. The city wants us to cut down on bottled water, which is totally fine, because, garbage, but it might be a little easier if the city's water didn't have so much...weather in it.

In honour of this experiment, sing with me:



9 comments:

Lidian said...

That is some weird water...maybe it is old pipes too?

veganbilly said...

I think so. The building is at least 80 years old, which is nice because you get the exposed brick, but the plumbing is messed in all ways. I want to test it with litmus paper, but to be honest I'm afraid of what I'll find out...

Captain Dick said...

I lived in Buffalo for years, and the water did the same thing. I liked to pretend it was lake magic...

Danny Vice said...

You might get a new aerator for the faucet. It looks to me like the water is aerated too much and just takes time to clear up (as the oxegen is released toward the surface)..

As far as hard water goes...there's a few things you can do.

Always add a little fabric softner to your laundry so they last longer... add toilet bowl tablets (which softens and chlirinates your toilet water) to your toilet. and of course, use lotion soap instead of bar soap. Don't use the anti bacterial soap either.

Hopefully something in that list of ideas helps. =)

The Acorn King said...

I tried to live blog an ice cream sunday once, it melted and left me sad...thus ending my live blogging career.

TBones said...

i think it's due to the filtration process.... some settling chemicals or something. could actually be good to have "weather" in your glass :) nice site.... dropped my card!

blaine_fridley said...

great. another blog i'll have to obsessively check on.
love your stuff.

ps- i read your blogcatalog profile, and the CBC's hot tits report was actually very well done.

Free Music said...

yeah it is old pipes

kkbonGo is a Keeper said...

How about buying a faucet water purifier?? That way you're still not using bottled water, but your water at home will be distilled. It's actually supposed to be better for you that way. Word is they put some wierd stuff in some bottled waters.