After making dinner I still had crazy energy (thanks, veganism!) so I said "Why the hell not?" and made some cupcakes for dessert. That's generally how I cook; the "why the hell not" method. See, if I want to cook something, I ask two questions:
1. Do I have the ingredients?
-if the answer is "no": Can I substitute anything for the ingredients I'm missing?
-if the answer is "no": Why the hell not?
2. If the answer is yes: Then why the hell not?
As a result I present to you some orange chocolate cupcakes, from the excellent (and ubiquitous) Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. I'll link to the basic recipe - the icing was sort of a creation though, so here's the fixins' for that.
Basic Chocolate Cupcakes here
(I didn't have the Earth Balance shortening so the frosting wasn't really as "buttercream-y" as the one in the book. Y'all may wanna throw some in there as I found this frosting a bit too sweet.)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp extra nonhydrogenated margarine
- 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange juice from a can of mandarin oranges
- 1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
- 15 drops red food colouring and 10 drops yellow food colouring
- cute little mandarin oranges from aforementioned can
- statue of Elvis Presley
- Beat the margarine until all creamy.
- Add the sugar in 1/2 cup batches and add a few drops of orange juice and food colouring with each batch. Beat for about 3 more minutes - you'll see the pretty swirlies start to form.
- I added an extra tbsp of margarine at the end as the liquid ingredients made it a wee thin.
- Add the soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
- Frost those bitches and luxuriate in your own awesomeness (not optional)