Apr 7, 2008

Orange Chocolate cupcakes fit for the King


After making dinner I still had crazy energy (thanks, veganism!) so I said "Why the hell not?" and made some cupcakes for dessert. That's generally how I cook; the "why the hell not" method. See, if I want to cook something, I ask two questions:

1. Do I have the ingredients?
-if the answer is "no": Can I substitute anything for the ingredients I'm missing?
-if the answer is "no": Why the hell not?
2. If the answer is yes: Then why the hell not?

As a result I present to you some orange chocolate cupcakes, from the excellent (and ubiquitous) Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World. I'll link to the basic recipe - the icing was sort of a creation though, so here's the fixins' for that.

Basic Chocolate Cupcakes here

Orange Frosting

(I didn't have the Earth Balance shortening so the frosting wasn't really as "buttercream-y" as the one in the book. Y'all may wanna throw some in there as I found this frosting a bit too sweet.)
  • 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp extra nonhydrogenated margarine
  • 4 cups powdered sugar, sifted if clumpy
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons orange juice from a can of mandarin oranges
  • 1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
  • 15 drops red food colouring and 10 drops yellow food colouring
  • cute little mandarin oranges from aforementioned can
  • statue of Elvis Presley
  1. Beat the margarine until all creamy.
  2. Add the sugar in 1/2 cup batches and add a few drops of orange juice and food colouring with each batch. Beat for about 3 more minutes - you'll see the pretty swirlies start to form.
  3. I added an extra tbsp of margarine at the end as the liquid ingredients made it a wee thin.
  4. Add the soy milk, and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
  5. Frost those bitches and luxuriate in your own awesomeness (not optional)
They were gone by the end of the night. And I'm feeling pudgy today. Pudgy...and satisfied. They went over big with the King too.

No comments: