Apr 7, 2008

Black Bean and Yam Burritos with marvelous "Cheese" sauce


Yesterday my old man and I set up a portable kitchen island and to celebrate I made a fancy meal. I can't get enough counterspace. I mean, I have been really lucky in life to date with kitchens. My apartment in Montreal had a kitchen the size of a large living room; my first apartment back in Toronto had an entire galley-style hallway kitchen; and this one is sorta lofty but has limited counterspace. So the island was welcomed with fanfare and foofarrah and here's what I did with it.

The burritos started as a recipe from VegWeb but I didn't like the prep method much - I like my beans mashed up when they're in burritos, or else they sort of roll out of the wrap and get everywhere and it's a problem, a serious problem, that results in fashion emergencies. I change FOR dinner, not after dinner. So I added some nuked yam chunks (about 4 minutes in the mike) and mashed it all together to make the filling.

The superstar was the "cheese" sauce. This is the first "cheese" recipe I've made that actually pretty much tasted like cheese, and I want to share it with you because sharing is caring.

From the excellent vegancooking community on LJ:

"Cheese" Sauce by VampireFodder

Mix all of these ingredients together:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp. vegetable stock
1 tbsp. tumeric - I used cumin instead since I had no turmeric, and it was fucking AWESOME.
1 tbsp. vegan parmesan cheese (I used Florentino Parmazano)

Then add:
2 cups water
1 tbsp soya sauce

and whisk it all together until it is well blended, with no lumps. Heat the mixture on low heat, stirring very often until it begins to thicken and bubble. Allow it to bubble approx. 45 seconds, and remove from heat.

Then, stir in:
1 tbsp mustard (I used dijon)
1 tbsp margarine


Went over huge with my old man and myself. I think I'll use cumin more, I really enjoyed the flavour and the smell. One fun thing about the transition to veganism - all the new spices to learn and try.

For dessert I made some cupcakes...

No comments: