Sep 10, 2007

Today I stopped myself from feeling nauseous - and there wasn't drinking last night

Today I "officially", whatever the hell that means, went vegan. I've been a vegetarian off and on for almost 8 years now, and the last two years I've been realizing that this kitten cannot live on "Weight Watchers" frozen ravioli and the disgusting slab of cardboard from Yves that passes itself off as a veggie burger any more.

More and more I found myself feeling slightly icky when I had extra cheese on my pizza, egg sandwiches made with fat-free cottage cheese (an old WW trick) and most of all, phenomenal amounts of cream in the gigantic amount of coffee I cram down the ol' gullet every day.
Then I started taking an anti-smoking drug called "Champix" and felt real, almost incapacitating nausea for hours every morning and evening.

I'm not sayin' the two are related, but being sick to your stomach and then feeling even worse because of what you're eating is a pretty powerful one-two. I started thinking more and more about this book I'd read,
"Eat To Live". Dude pretty much recommends a vegan diet, or at least one with the smallest amount of animal matter possible. Looked everywhere, couldn't find it debunked or called unhealthy. One of the symptoms of poor nutrition is claims to cure? "Bad stomach", the fancy term for which I figure is "entering the Chunderdome".

So off to the bookstore. Bought some cookbooks. Read 'em all, fast, taking notes. Everything in them looked good. Not just good - fucking scrumptious. I did more research.

I'm not gonna quote numbers and horror stories here. if you're reading this, I'm guessing you already know, or you just wanna fight about it. I am gonna say that all the vegans I knew and spoke to ended up being the healthiest, happiest, and most stable people I'd met.

Somethin' to this!

So here I go. I've eaten my last Baskin-Robbins sundae, and finished the night with some pizza. I feel gross and flatulent and bloated. Tomorrow I'll fire up my walking shoes and get to the local veggie store. Planning a trip to Whole Foods on my days off.

BEST OF ALL: I actually am excited about cooking again. If it weren't so late, I'd be making some of these awesome vegan cupcakes I'm drooling over. Maybe a cupcake-making party is something to consider when we move...

No comments: